Saturday, March 9, 2013

........and then life happens.

It happens to all of us. We are so focused, really on a roll and making progress.........and then life happens. The thing you didn't expect. That twist or turn that came out of nowhere, pulling the proverbial rug right out from under your once very purposeful, very driven feet. Leaving you sitting on your posterior, looking around wondering what-the-bloody-heck just happened here???

Well, that's me.

Within the last few months we found out that we are moving. From our home of 18 years. Across the country. Temporarily. So, in the next few weeks we are packing up only what we need and driving it across country to our new home-for-awhile. <sound of screeching car brakes>But....but....but..no-wait-.I had a PLAN. I had a PROGRAM, people. I have GOALS to accomplish. I have constructed everything exactly the way I want it. HERE. What-the-bloody-hell-just-happened??

Of course there are lots of details, but it has left me thinking about how to balance things. How to continue to move forward with my personal and professional goals and still.....you know.....do what life demands of me at the moment. As I rolled these questions around in my head over the past few days, I came across this statement by Arthur Ashe:

This is so true, isn't it? Just keep going. Use what you have. Do what you can. And you know, you can always do much more than you think you can. We limit ourselves far too often, and put up our own walls, caging ourselves. 
So I am determined to keep this in mind as we make this move. I can't take my beloved garden that my kids and I worked so hard on all these years, that has provided us with so many wonderful vegetables. But I CAN begin to learn how to grow things in a new part of the country, and maybe cultivate some great time with my now older kids, as they help us put it all in. I probably can't take most of my gym with me <gulp>, but I CAN really work on my kettlebell work outs and start rocking the rings again and work my way around to piecing together a new (BIGGER) gym out in my new home. I am also REALLY looking forward to all of the new outdoor adventures that will await us out in our new home. Again, a great chance to cultivate new friendships and spend precious time with my almost-grown kids and my wonderful husband. 
So, while a part of me REALLY wants to back up against the wall, shaking my head and saying, "Ooohhhhh no. No you don't. Not me. I'm not going." The larger part of me pushes me on and whispers, "Yeah, but what if.......Go ahead. Give it a try." And so I shall. 
We have lots to do in the coming weeks and I am looking forward to blogging about it and sharing it! Right now I am off to use the gym in my basement, while  still can. Funny how a little change in perspective can make Leg day not quite as dreaded as usual. :-)
Just Keep Going!
~Melissa

Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.



No comments:

Post a Comment