Sunday, February 24, 2013

Warrior Girl

So, we are on the road again. When I woke up in my hotel room this morning, I felt all "Warrior Girl" when I realized that I was going to have to go and hunt for my breakfast. Yes, I know.....it's a stretch, but I'm desperate, so at times, I flatter myself unnecessarily to keep myself motivated. "Warrior Girl". Don't judge. It works for me. But, I digress. There was no way that anything on the hotels breakfast bar was going into THIS body. Especially after reading the first few chapters of this new book:

I was already aware of most of the main points re. hormones and what you eat, but this book lays it out is such wonderful detail without getting so bogged down in the science-y parts that your eyes glaze over. Really, really wonderful book so far. So, after reading those first few chapters on the plane, the hotels breakfast bar looked more like a poisonous wasteland of pseudo foods just waiting to ruin my mood AND make me fat. Not this girl. Not "Warrior Girl". We will hunt for better food. Well, as it turns out there isn't much to choose from right here in this particular little town. Our choices were Cracker Barrel or the greasy spoon. So we ended up at Cracker Barrel, where they make you wait SO.LONG for your food, that you will pretty much scarf down whatever they slop down in front of you. I think they count on you being so wooed by the ambiance of the place that you will forget your gnawing hunger. "Oooo look! A fire." " Oooo listen! Country music!" "Oh cool! An old timey board game. Let's play!" <SO....HUNGRY...DYING>  Anyway, it was all good, we looked at crap-to-spend-money-on and eventually sat and ate.  I must say that I was surprised to find something on the menu that I felt decent about: Meat n' Eggs. It was 3 eggs, bacon or sausage, and sliced tomatoes (ditch the toast and add a side of fresh fruit). So, yay! For what we had to choose from, I felt like we made the best choice. My energy levels remained constant and I felt great all the way to lunch.
It reminds me that sometimes, despite our best efforts, we just have to make the best choices available to us at that time. There was a time in my life that we could not afford to buy organic vegetables or meats(umm... or anything, pretty much). But I learned to cook everything from scratch, started growing some food in our garden(which is a learning curve folks, don't let anyone fool you....we weren't canning all of our abundance those first several years. It was more like we all stood around rejoicing when ANYTHING grew! But we learned) and I fed my family a much healthier and cost efficient diet than take-out or pizza. My point is, that we educate ourselves and then we do what we can with what we have at the time.
And now, if you will excuse me "Warrior Girl" must go and hunt for her dinner.
Just Keep Going!
~Melissa
P.S. More on the book at Whole 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment